Sunday, November 27, 2011

FHE: The Christmas Story

Sheesh! Three posts in one night!! {If you want me to keep 'em coming, I recommend commenting on each.} What are Stefan and Damon going to do without me?? :)

Okay. The post. I have been pretty crumby at posting our Family Home Evening (FHE) lessons on here, but generally speaking we have been routine about having them. Tonight I whipped something together while the kids finished eating dinner (they are seriously the slowest eaters). This is what I came up with.


FHE: The Christmas Story

Opening Song: Away in a Manger (though any Christ-centered Christmas song would work)

Opening Prayer.

Lesson:

1. Brief recap of The Christmas Story (using a fabric book I made for James in '09)... Mary, Joseph, the manger, Baby Jesus, shepherds, wise men, etc.

(I bought the fabric panel from
Hobby Lobby. This photo is not
actually mine, but it looks basically
the same. I swiped this off of ebay.)
2. Elaborate if necessary... We talked further about the fact that Christmas is a time when we celebrate Christ's birth. ("It's Jesus' birthday", is actually what I said.) I like to tell them that Jesus doesn't need us to give him toys, but we can give each other toys and other presents because it makes Him and Heavenly Father happy. Kind of like when James is nice to Jolie, it makes me happy... etc. It is my way of explaining Christ's teachings when He said, "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matt 25:40) Our theory is that Santa must love Heavenly Father a lot, cause he gives so many people presents! :) Really, though, I think they understood.

3. Watch this YouTube clip {The Christmas Story, a clip from The Nativity Story I think, set to Silent Night sung by David Archuleta} *link here.

Activity: Make the following Christmas craft, using black construction paper, a nativity picture (found ours online here- scaled to about 5" tall), crayons, popsicle sticks, star stickers and glue.

Our pretty Christmas crafts
Derek's
James'
Mine (Becca's)
Jolie's
Treat: Cherry Crunch Pie via Marie Calendar with Blue Bunny Homemade Vanilla ice cream (226 cal for my small portion) Mmm!

Closing Song.

Closing (Family) Prayer.

4 comments:

bart said...

Having a kid (albeit one who can't really understand anything we say yet) has us thinking about the challenge of how we'll discuss the connection between Christ and Santa. It's good to hear how other people handle it.

Richelle said...

I want to come to FHE at your house! :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely!! So inspiring!! I loved it!! Special times... :)
Christi

Adam and Aubrey said...

I really do enjoy your fhe things. I don't really do them, but I think if I did I would really enjoy these posts even more... haha